fish, especially cod, that has been preserved in salt. Also referred to as bacalao
Saltfish is a staple in Caribbean food and one of my favorite foods to cook for any meal of the day. Most commonly I will cook saltfish and collard greens with a nice soft boiled egg for breakfast. This set’s me right for the day, packed with vitamins and nutrients. This dish is also so easy to make and incredibly affordable, making it a staple in my house.
- 1 large bunch of collard greens about 10 ounces, washed and sliced into ribbons
- 1 ½ cups salted cod soaked to remove the salt and shredded
- 2 large tomatoes cored and sliced into ½ in strips
- 1 Large bell pepper orange, red or yellow
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 medium garlic cloves pressed or minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons Coconut oil
- 1 teaspoons of scotch bonnet powder
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, while that is boiling prepare a large ice bath large enough fit your collard greens.
Once the water comes to a boil, submerge all the collards in the water for approximately 1-2 minutes then immediately remove the collards and submerge in the ice bath. Using a colander strainer or steamer basket helps with this process. Next move collards from the ice bath and strain of excess water.
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the coconut oil and add garlic and onions, saute for a few minutes then add the peppers, saltfish, tomatoes and collards.
Saute and mix well incorporating all ingredients. Cook for approximately 6-8mins. Serve and Enjoy!